When you book a Kodiak drill crew, you receive a package requesting several pieces of information. That information will enable us to file either individual or cluster records. Our drillers can collect some of the field information, but if your technician collects it, we will spend our time drilling, and then use only a short time to review the information that you provide.
Here are the conditions which must be met to file a “cluster record”:
a) Each owner of land on which a well in the group is located must give written consent to the use of a single (“cluster”) well record (NOTE: this poses one of the most difficult obstacles for many consultants).
b) All wells must be test holes or dewatering wells
c) All wells must be located on the same property, on adjacent property (which may be separated by a road) or under specific conditions, within one or two intervening properties of another well in the cluster.
If you know that you won’t be able to get signed permission from the property owner to file a cluster record, please let us know before the job starts – our crew will simply bring enough well tags to tag every well individually.
Exemptions and Well Construction
- I just need a temporary hole – shouldn’t I be exempt from the Reg?
- Are there ever situations when a well is exempt from Regulation 903?
- I don’t need a well pipe – can you backfill my hole with cuttings?
- My well is not exempt from the Reg – what are the implications?
- Can’t your crew backfill above the screened zone with cuttings – like my old driller did?
Tagging and Well Records
- Do you have to tag my well and file a Ministry Record?
- Does it cost extra to file the well record?
- What can I do so that my wells qualify for a single cluster record instead of multiple records?
- It’s extremely difficult to get the property owner’s signature for a cluster record. Can’t I just sign the form myself, as the owner’s consultant?
- Can I Remove the Well Tag that Kodiak Has Affixed to the Well?
- We give our clients cost estimates to install wells and do testing – but we never include costs for removal. Do we really have to remove the well when our project is done?
- I want my well removed and there are no ongoing operations at this property and no chance of contamination. Why does the Kodiak crew insist on backfilling my abandoned well with sealant?
- Does a Well Record Have to Be Filed When A Well Is Abandoned?