Q. Although our locates are not in 100% compliance with the requirements, we really have to get this drilling done today. Can you do the drilling if we (or the site owner) agree to take full responsibility for anything you hit?
A. No – What does that mean, “take responsibility”? Regardless of locates, you are already responsible for anything we hit, because you instructed us to drill in that location. Being responsible for hitting something has nothing to do with protecting the health & safety of the drill crew, complying with the legal obligations, or protecting the utilities from damage, which are the three main reasons we get locates in the first place. Perhaps when people say they will take responsibility, they mean that they will tell the drillers family, at his/her funeral, that they “thought there was nothing there”. Although this is a frequently asked question, it is an extremely frustrating one, and we hope we never ever hear it again.
Utility Locate FAQs
- No drilling was undertaken – Will we be invoiced anyway?
- Will you drill if locates are beyond 30 days old, even if nothing has changed?
- Do we need Ontario One Call for drilling inside?
- Can we just get a private locator instead of One Call?
- Do we need locates to decommission existing wells?
- What if most locates are done?
- What if the locator is coming later?
- What if other drillers will do it without complete locates?
- No locates, but the site owner knows where everything is
- What if we take responsibility for you hitting a line?
- We have as built drawings instead of locates
- We have witched it Is that okay?
- Do we need to contact hydro too?
- The building is abandoned; do we need locates?
- We are drilling at the base of an excavation
- There is more than one municipal address
- We are drilling on private property only; do we still need to get all the locates?