Q. The drill crew refuses to drill because we don’t have a hydro locate. We called Ontario One Call as we thought they contacted the hydro utility, AND we had a private locator too; can this be right?
A. This may have happened in the past as even if you called Ontario One Call and you had a private locator, like is required, you still may not have had complete locates. Not all hydro service providers were members of Ontario One Call and therefore you had to ensure that if the hydro provider for your site area was not a member, you had to contact them to request a locate. With the recent implementation of Bill 8 (Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act or “One Call Act”), it became mandatory for all owners of public utilities to be members of One Call.
Utility Locate FAQs
- No drilling was undertaken – Will we be invoiced anyway?
- Will you drill if locates are beyond 30 days old, even if nothing has changed?
- Do we need Ontario One Call for drilling inside?
- Can we just get a private locator instead of One Call?
- Do we need locates to decommission existing wells?
- What if most locates are done?
- What if the locator is coming later?
- What if other drillers will do it without complete locates?
- No locates, but the site owner knows where everything is
- What if we take responsibility for you hitting a line?
- We have as built drawings instead of locates
- We have witched it Is that okay?
- Do we need to contact hydro too?
- The building is abandoned; do we need locates?
- We are drilling at the base of an excavation
- There is more than one municipal address
- We are drilling on private property only; do we still need to get all the locates?