Q. We had another driller doing work at this site the other day and they didn’t have a problem with us not having all the locates (or out of date, or inadequate, or other problem), why did that company drill and Kodiak won’t drill?
A. Kodiak will only drill when we are confident that all aspects of utility locating have been completed properly. The willingness of another drilling contractor to work at a site where the utilities are not adequately located is up to them and does not affect our drilling. Unfortunately we do not have consistent, enforced policies with regards to utility locating amongst the environmental and geotechnical drilling companies. We hope someday, our industry will do a better job in this regard. You can help with this, by advising other drillers when their work is not consistent with good locating practices.
Utility Locate FAQs
- No drilling was undertaken – Will we be invoiced anyway?
- Will you drill if locates are beyond 30 days old, even if nothing has changed?
- Do we need Ontario One Call for drilling inside?
- Can we just get a private locator instead of One Call?
- Do we need locates to decommission existing wells?
- What if most locates are done?
- What if the locator is coming later?
- What if other drillers will do it without complete locates?
- No locates, but the site owner knows where everything is
- What if we take responsibility for you hitting a line?
- We have as built drawings instead of locates
- We have witched it Is that okay?
- Do we need to contact hydro too?
- The building is abandoned; do we need locates?
- We are drilling at the base of an excavation
- There is more than one municipal address
- We are drilling on private property only; do we still need to get all the locates?