Although modifications to Regulation 903, made under the Ontario Water Resources Act, were enacted in 2008, many consultants are still unaware of some aspects of the Regulation. This is understandable – the Reg is complex and includes an extensive list of requirements which depend on drilling method, depth of hole and purpose of the hole.
Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions which we encounter are provided below. Please note that answers in this FAQ are designed for situations which could be encountered on Kodiak drill sites with our type of equipment (principally auger drilling). Different requirements may apply when other drilling technologies are employed.
Exemptions and Well Construction
- I just need a temporary hole – shouldn’t I be exempt from the Reg?
- Are there ever situations when a well is exempt from Regulation 903?
- I don’t need a well pipe – can you backfill my hole with cuttings?
- My well is not exempt from the Reg – what are the implications?
- Can’t your crew backfill above the screened zone with cuttings – like my old driller did?
Tagging and Well Records
- Do you have to tag my well and file a Ministry Record?
- Does it cost extra to file the well record?
- What can I do so that my wells qualify for a single cluster record instead of multiple records?
- It’s extremely difficult to get the property owner’s signature for a cluster record. Can’t I just sign the form myself, as the owner’s consultant?
- Can I Remove the Well Tag that Kodiak Has Affixed to the Well?
- We give our clients cost estimates to install wells and do testing – but we never include costs for removal. Do we really have to remove the well when our project is done?
- I want my well removed and there are no ongoing operations at this property and no chance of contamination. Why does the Kodiak crew insist on backfilling my abandoned well with sealant?
- Does a Well Record Have to Be Filed When A Well Is Abandoned?
Need more information? Please feel welcome to contact our office to discuss Regulatory issues with one of our specialists.