Q. The Kodiak crew refused to drill because they said our locates were not complete; As this was not within our budget, do we have to pay anything for them going to the site and not doing any drilling?
A. Yes – You are responsible for completing the legally required locates. Hopefully information in this website will help you comply with the law in this regard. We cannot take responsibility for the costs of you not undertaking locates in a complete manner. If we do not invoice you, it means that we are losing the costs of mobilizing the crew and drill to the site and losing a days revenue due to someone else’s error. In most cases we could have completed a project at another site that day and that is a lost job for us. In many cases we are losing money by only charging a minimum charge, as another project could be larger than a minimum charge. Therefore, your mistake has already cost us; please don’t expect us to pay for things beyond our control.
Utility Locate FAQs
- No drilling was undertaken – Will we be invoiced anyway?
- Will you drill if locates are beyond 30 days old, even if nothing has changed?
- Do we need Ontario One Call for drilling inside?
- Can we just get a private locator instead of One Call?
- Do we need locates to decommission existing wells?
- What if most locates are done?
- What if the locator is coming later?
- What if other drillers will do it without complete locates?
- No locates, but the site owner knows where everything is
- What if we take responsibility for you hitting a line?
- We have as built drawings instead of locates
- We have witched it Is that okay?
- Do we need to contact hydro too?
- The building is abandoned; do we need locates?
- We are drilling at the base of an excavation
- There is more than one municipal address
- We are drilling on private property only; do we still need to get all the locates?